First Operational RAF Typhoon Squadron Formed
02 Apr 2006
On 31 March 2006, the first operational Typhoon squadron, No. 3(Fighter) Squadron, forms at RAF Cottesmore, just a day before the Royal Air Force marks its 88th Anniversary.
An event to mark a range of changes, which are traditionally timed to coincide with the anniversary of the RAF's formation on 1 April 1918, was held at RAF Cottesmore. In addition to the formation of the first operational Typhoon squadron, which will be based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire, other transformation elements include:
- formation of 800 Naval Air Squadron with GR7/9 Harriers at RAF Cottesmore as part of the Joint Force Harrier;
- relocation of No.6 Squadron Jaguars from RAF Coltishall to RAF Coningsby;
- formation of deployable Expeditionary Air Wings that will better support the RAF on deployed operations;
- formation of logistics ‘hub' at RAF Wittering; and a communications ‘hub' at RAF Leeming for deployable expeditionary force elements;
- rationalisation of HQ Strike Command by closing No 3. Group;
- and closure of RAF Stafford and RAF Sealand.
- UK Ministry of Defence