2 October 2009 | Gripen International
Enhanced Gripen proposal for Brazil
Saab has submitted an update on the proposal offering 36 Gripen Next Generation (NG) to the Brazilian Air Force (FAB).
The updated proposal fulfils all the requirements stated by Brazil to develop, manufacture, operate, maintain and upgrade an independent multi-role fighter, together with an extensive industrial package with full transfer of technology. This will give Brazil the opportunity to be involved in the development as well as to include a significant number of Brazilian suppliers in Gripen NG aircraft.
“This will be a perfect match built on complementing abilities and technological excellence. A commitment from Sweden to Brazil delivers independence and not dependence. The unique industrial offset package means a direct involvement for Brazilian companies in the development, production and maintenance of Gripen NG. This will create and maintain high technology work opportunities in Brazil,” says Saab CEO Åke Svensson.
The updated proposal outlines its advantages for the Brazilian Air Force and Brazilian industry and includes:
A comprehensive Technology Transfer
• Full access to and complete involvement in the Gripen NG development programme.
• Complete Technology Transfer through joint development of the Gripen NG, giving national autonomy and independence in the design, development, manufacture and through-life support of Gripen NG and future generation fighters.
• Independence in terms of choice of weapons and systems integration.
• Production in Brazil of up to 80% of Gripen NG airframes.
• Creation of a full Gripen NG assembly line in Brazil.
• Full maintenance capability in Brazil for the Gripen NG engine.
A unique competitive partnership
• Brazil will have the sales lead for Gripen NG in Latin America with joint opportunities for the rest of the world.
• Sweden’s commitment to take deliveries of Gripen NG aircraft in line with Brazilian time frames.
• Sweden’s intention to evaluate the KC-390 transport aircraft for long-term tactical air transport needs.
• Saab’s ambition to join the transport aircraft KC-390 development programme as a strategic partner, including support in international marketing.
• A commitment from Saab to deliver over 175% of the total value in industrial co-operation to Brazilian industry.
• Saab proposes to replace the Swedish Air Force fleet of SK 60/Saab 105 trainers with the Super Tucano.
A cost-effective solution
• A firm and highly competitive proposal for a long-term financing for the full FX-2 contract value from the Swedish Export Credit Corporation, a financial institution wholly owned by the Swedish Government.
• Significantly lower acquisition, support and operating costs compared to the competition due to the optimised design, highly efficient manufacturing processes and ease of maintenance and support.
About Gripen Next Generation
When entering operation, Gripen NG will be one of the most advanced fighter aircraft in the world utilizing the latest technology. Gripen NG is the next generation Gripen, an enhanced version of the well established multi-role fighter which has proven low acquisition, operation, and support costs. The Gripen NG programme covers development of avionics and all major sensors, including AESA radar. The aircraft will have increased thrust, increased payload, and extended range in excess of 4 000 km, whilst maintaining the lowest cost of ownership.
Read Full Article @ Gripen International